Monday, October 27, 2008

Big Honkin' Turntable

For those that have read my earlier posts you know that I've been working towards setting up a winter studio in our garage. As I have been planning my space I came to the realization that I'm a bonafide construction junkie. This is probably why I enjoy the sculpting process so much. Working with a hammer and chisel can be exhausting but the results of each 'strike' are immediate. So suffice to say it requires total concentration and focus. But it's been a while since I've done any construction at the old homestead. You know like a deck or shed and this fact was brought to the forefront of my mind recently when a friend of mine told me he had just finished building a new shed and Pergola in his yard. And from what I could gather it wasn't the 'Pergola-in-a-Box' type junk from a big box store but the dig and design as you go with 8 x 8's , concrete footings, backfill and landscaping. In fact I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all week. And this cooler Fall weather isn't helping matters because this is the time of year I love to build outside. I do keep a design notebook (big surprise) on things I eventually plan to build. The 'Silver Tuna' being a full blown studio outbuilding with a live-in loft for Jewel and I and the Goose - with all the trappings of which being my own design. The current garage studio will keep me going for only so long until I have to crack open my notebook to find my next fix. Actually come to think of it I could use another big honkin' turntable hmmm...

For todays pic I'm posting some of the smaller items I sculpt. This group includes a small Hosta leaf with a Rusted finish, a small Hosta leaf with riser legs in a Pewter finish and a low profile dish Planter filled with Hens and Chicks. All were created in concrete and seasoned for at least one year.

No comments: