Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dogs

Last summer I was driving along a country road just north of our home when I passed a huge farmers field surrounded by a wire fence. Now along this fence at several intervals I noticed a posted sign that read "Beware Of Dogs". Not "Dog", but "Dogs". The property owner was obviously going for extra terror. Now at about the time I passed the third identical sign I noticed a vehicle parked at the side of the road and several individuals crouching on the other side of the fence. They were helping themselves to the owners vegetable crop. I remember thinking that sign might as well be in Latin for all the notice the trespassers took of it.

Latin, now there's a language of mystery and everyone enjoys a good mystery. I'd go as far as to say that our psychological health depends on mystery...questions. We need questions. Questions to our brain are like currency to the economy. Asking questions keeps us from stagnating.

So as I continued on my way I questioned how to make a better mousetrap or in this case better "Beware Of Dog" signage that would actually deter such inconsiderate behaviour. And I came up with, "Snake Habitat". And directly beneath in smaller typeface the words, "Venom Hot Line" along with a phone number that would be barely readable. Effective? Anyways you get the idea.

No comments: